Roger Achkar, Ph.D.
Dean - Faculty of Engineering
Block A, 8th Floor
Dr. Roger Achkar is the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and an Associate Professor in Electrical Engineering.
Dr. Achkar received a Ph.D degree in Energetic System and Information from the University of Technology of Compiegne, France, in 2008. A Master degree in Research (DEA) from the Lebanese University, Faculty of Engineering, in 2004 and a B.E degree in Electrical Engineering from the Lebanese University, Faculty of Engineering, Branch II, Roumieh, Lebanon in 2002.
Dr. Achkar is a Vice Chair of the IEEE Communication Society Chapter in Lebanon and a member of the Order of Engineers and Architects in Lebanon since 2005. His Research interests are in Electrical, Communications and Mechanical Engineering Education. He developed and applied, on an active magnetic bearing (AMB), an artificial neural network able to control non-linear systems. Currently, he is leading several research projects in the area of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, IOT, Communications, Vision and Control.
Refereed Journal Publications:
- G. Abou Kassm and R. Achkar, “LPR CNN Cascade and Adaptive Deskewing” Complex Adaptive Systems, Procedia Computer Science, Elsevier, Volume 114, November 2017, pp 296-303. DOI: 10.1016/j.procs.2017.09.043, www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/18770509/114.
- R. Achkar, M. El-Halabi, E. Bassil, R. Fakhro and M. Khalil, “Voice Identity Finder Using the Back -Propagation Algorithm of an Artificial Neural Network” Complex Adaptive Systems, Procedia Computer Science, Elsevier, Volume 95, November 2016, pp 245-252. DOI: 10.1016/j.procs.2016.09.322, www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050916324954.
- G. Abou Haidar, R. Achkar and R. Maalouf, “Smart Walker Using Android Application”, International Journal of Computing and Digital Systems ISSN (2210-142X). Int. J. Com. Dig. Sys. 4, No.3 (July-2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.12785/ijcds/040304
- C. Saide, R. Lengelle, P. Honein, C. Richard, and R. Achkar, “Nonlinear Adaptive Filtering using Kernel-based Algorithms with Dictionary Adaptation”, International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, March 2015. Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/acs.2548
- C. Saide, R. Lengelle, P. Honein, and R. Achkar, “Online Kernel Adaptive Algorithms With Dictionary Adaptation for MIMO Models" Signal Processing Letters, IEEE, Volume 20, Issue 5, May 2013, pp 535-538
- R. Achkar, G. Abou Haidar, C. Mansour, N. Halabi, “Real-Time Application of DPCM & ADM Systems”, Journal of Communication and Computer, Volume 10, Number 4, April 2013, pp. 545-553.
- R. Achkar and M. Owayjan, "Implementation of a Vision System for a Landmine Detecting Robot Using Artificial Neural Network", International Journal of Artificial Intelligence & Applications (IJAIA), September 2012, Volume 3, Number 5, pp73-92.
- Y. Harkouss, S. Mcheik and R. Achkar, “Accurate Wavelet Neural Network for Efficient Controlling of An Active Magnetic Bearing System”, Journal of Computer Science, November 2010, Vol.6, Issue 12, pp. 1452- 1459.
Refereed Conference Proceedings Papers:
- R. Achkar, J. Narcis, W. Abou Awad and K. Hitti, “Smart X-Ray Scanners Using Artificial Neural Networks”, IEEE, 20th International Conference on Modelling and Simulation, UKSim 2018, Cambridge University, United Kingdom, 27-29 March 2018, pp 6-8.
- E. Kfoury, J. Saab, P. Younes and R. Achkar, “A Self Organizing Map Intrusion Detection System for RPL Protocol Attacks” 17th IEEE International Conference on Wireless Telecommunications (WTS 2018), Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 18-20 April 2018.
- G. Abou Haidar, R. Achkar and H. Dourgham, “A Comparative Simulation Study of the Real Effect of PCM & DPCM Systems on Audio and Image Modulation” IEEE International Multidisciplinary Conference on Engineering Technology (IMCET 2016), Beirut, Lebanon, 2-4 November 2016, pp 144-149.
- R. Achkar, R. Geagea and H. Mehio, “Smart-Coach Personal Gym Trainer An Adaptive Modified Back-propagation Approach” IEEE International Multidisciplinary Conference on Engineering Technology (IMCET 2016), Beirut, Lebanon, 2-4 November 2016, pp 218-223.
- M. Owayjan, R. Achkar, M. Iskandar, “Face Detection with Expression Recognition using Artificial Neural Networks” 3rd Middle East Conference on Biomedical Engineering (MECBME), Beirut, Lebanon, 6-7 October 2016, pp. 116-120
- N. El Halabi, R. Achkar, R. Abi Zeid Daou, A. Hayek and J. Boercsoek, “Design and testing tool for a Safe Monitoring System for Neurodegenerative Disorder Patients” 3rd International Conference on Advances in Computational Tools for Engineering Applications (ACTEA 2016), Zouk Mosbeh, Lebanon, 13-15 July 2016, pp 172-177.
- R. Achkar, J. Farhat, E. Bassil and Z. Barakat, “3D Replica Conferencing System” 15th IEEE International Conference on Wireless Telecommunications (WTS 2016), London, UK, 18-20 April 2016
- M. El-Halabi, R. Achkar, “Physical-Layer Security for Multi-Antenna Wiretap Channel in the Wideband Regime” 11th IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and communications (WiMob), Abu Dhabi, UAE, 19-21 October 2015, pp. 517-521.
- R. Achkar, G. Abou Haidar, H. Dourgham, D. Semaan, H. Araji, “Mobile Controlled Wheelchair” 9th IEEE European Modelling Symposium on Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation, EMS 2015, Madrid, Spain, 6-8 October, 2015, pp. 429-434.
- R. Achkar, G. Abou Haidar, T. Azzam, A. Bou Hamdan, “Data Collection Kits for Vehicles- Blue Box System” 2015 World Symposium on Computer Applications & Research - Int. Conf. on Signal Processing and Remote Sensing (ICSPRS’ 2015), 21-23 March 2015, Rome, Italy.
- A. Harmouch, M. Ziadé, H. Haddad, R. Achkar, H. Baytieh, W. Kamali, A. Elrafhi, R. Barake, “On the Miniaturazation of Cylindrical Omnidirectional Slotted Waveguide Antennas for Wireless Applications”, The Third International Conference on Digital Information, Networking, and Wireless Communications (DINWC2015), 3-5 February 2015, Moscow, Russia, pp. 44-48
- R. Achkar, G. Abou Kasam, H. Khoury, “3D simulator using Zorb ball”, 8th IEEE European Modeling Symposium EMS 2014, 21-22 October 2014, Pisa, Italy, pp. 344-347
- R. Achkar, G. Abou Haidar, R. Abou Dayya, A. Salloum, K. Daoud “Remote Generator Control Using Android Applications”, 8th IEEE International Conference on Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation AMS 2014, 23-25 September 2014, Taipei, Taiwan & Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 220-224
- G. Abu Haidar, R. Achkar, R. Maalouf, B. Mcheik, H. Allam, and M. Abdul Rahim, “Smart Walker”, 11th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Web Information Systems (MobiWIS 2014), 27-29 August 2014, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 415-419
- N. Halabi, R. Achkar, and G. Abu Haidar “The Effect of Cell Phone Antenna’s Radiations on the Life Cycle of Honeybees”, 17th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - Information & Communication Systems, Beirut, Lebanon, April 2014, pp. 408-414
- M. Owayjan, G. Freiha, R. Achkar, E. Abdo, S. Mallah, “Firoxio: Forest Fire Detection and Alerting System”, 17th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - Information & Communication Systems, Beirut, Lebanon, April 2014, pp. 177-181
- G. Freiha, R. Achkar, M. Owayjan, M. Mokhadder, “Smart assistive accident free wheelchair system (SAAFWS)”, 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics, Biomimetics, and Intelligent Computational Systems (ROBIONETICS), 25-27 November 2013, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, pp. 67-72
- R. Achkar, C. Abou Haidar, N. Makhoul, and H. Ossaile “Gas Ascertainment via Smartphone”, 7th IEEE GCC 2013 Conference, 17-20 November 2013, Doha, Qatar, pp. 220-224
- C. Saide, R. Lengelle, P. Honein, C. Richard, and R. Achkar "Adaptation en ligne d’un dictionnaire pour les methods a noyau.” Actes du 24e Colloque sur le Traitement du Signal et des Images, Brest, France, Septembre 2013.
- N. Halabi, R. Achkar, and G. Abu Haidar “The Effect of Cell Phone Radiations on the Life Cycle of Honeybees”, IEEE EUROCON 2013, 1-4 July 2013, Zaghreb, Croatia, pp 529-535
- R. Achkar, G. Abou Haidar, R. Pharaon, A. Rokaya and M. Al Ahmar “i-Display Using Smart Phone Application”, EMS 2012, IEEE 6th European Modeling Symposium on Mathematical Modeling and Computer Simulation, 14-16 November 2012, Valetta, Malta, pp 348-353.
- Ph.D. in Automation and Control, 2008, University of Technology of Compiegne (UTC), Heudiasyc Laboratory (UMR CNRS 6599), France.
- M.S. in Research (D.E.A), 2004, Lebanese University, Faculty of Engineering, Lebanon.
- B.E. in Electrical Engineering, 2002, Lebanese University, Faculty of Engineering II, Roumieh Lebanon.